Wednesday, December 19, 2007

"Caroling," Reprise: Christmas Karaoke Online

CarolingOn December 2nd, I wrote a post here making a case for renewing the tradition of home-caroling - that is, the singing of Christmas carols to celebrate the season. I realize that in many quarters, this has probably fallen on deaf ears; if so, c'est la vie. Nevertheless, I'm bringing it up again.

Sometimes there's a good reason for singing on Christmas Eve, or Christmas Day, just as there is for playing Christmas games. Because if you don't, it can be bloody boring. You eat, you open presents, you sit around and chat (and maybe you get pickled) but there are a lot of hours to pass, especially if folks are staying over.

But it's not only that. Singing is enormously useful in bringing a body out of its insular little world of needling concerns that continue to play in the back of the mind. Singing absorbs and occupies, and if you let it - if you put some enthusiasm into it - it cheers. That's why humans started doing it in the first place, umpteen millennia ago.

I can almost hear some of the grumbles out there. "Freakin' Pollyanna, going on about Christmas Carols..." If you're one of those, refer to the previous paragraph, first two sentences. Grinches. ;)

Well, I've said my piece. It's entirely up to you, as you well know. Just in case you decide to give it a try, but have no musician on hand, here's a list of links to Christmas Karaoke online. Instead of gathering around the harpsichord or the piano as in olden tymes, you may now gather around the computer.

SECULAR:

RELIGIOUS:

5 comments:

  1. Sweet. Can't wait to wassail my brains out, crank up my tinny speakers, and belt out "O Holy Night" w/my buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...crank up my tinny speakers...

    Pick up a used sub-woofer somewhere - works wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are doing a Christmas caroling eve next Friday night with hot apple cider and egg nog (some spiked of course!) Thought you'd like to know some folks are re-newing this beautiful tradition. And folks can't wait!
    Thank you,
    Krista Moore
    www.kristamoore.com
    www.littlebookofmiracles.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] a start: Every single link to online christmas karaoke videos in this post was broken. I’ve gone through and redirected every one that I could; those that I [...]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I think your blog might be having browser
    compatibility issues. When I look at your blog site in Safari,
    it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.
    I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, great blog!

    ReplyDelete